Friday, August 6, 2010

8.6.10 -- My little reader!


Lucas told me when I was teaching ESY that he wanted me to teach him how to read. We have decided to focus on this for the month of August (and hopefully to carry over once we are back at school). I have decided to go back to the roots I learned at Gonzaga and we are using Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons (we also have BOB books and some other phonetic methods, but we are going to start here). I was tempted to bring home Reading Mastery, but I thought that might be a bit too much. Lucas knows most of his letter names already and a handful of sounds, so it's fun getting my child (who is certain he knows it all) to listen to what I am trying to get him to say or do. Today, he read his first two words all by himself :) He read "am" and he read the non-sense word "sa". It is pretty sweet watching him start to learn to read. I bought him a bunch of the "I can read" books from Costco for beginning readers ($10 for 6 instead of $3.99 each!) and I had to buy him the set of level 2 because they were about super heroes. I am really proud of Lucas for wanting so badly to be able to read by himself and I look forward to watching this process unfold with him. It is definitely different to try to teach your own child to read than a student!

No comments: