Saturday, August 21, 2010

8.21.10 -- How to be alone.




So a couple of weeks ago my friend Carrie (and others) posted a video from YouTube about how to be alone. I have never realized before that I kind of suck at being alone. I fill my days with activities for Lucas and myself and I rarely actually spend time alone. If I am at home alone, I clean, play on the computer, read a book, or just get out of the house so that I am not alone. I realized today that I have NEVER in my entire life gone somewhere completely by myself. I had people meet me there, I had plans to see people...there is always something. Originally, the plan was for Mike, Nikki and Brad to be at the beach...or for Nikki and Jami to come to the beach. Basically it was not going to just be me. However, that didn't work out and I got to do some good soul searching today. Cami and I had plans to hang out when she got off work, but that left me with about 12 hours to spend by myself. I went for a long walk on the beach and realized that the jellyfish continue to haunt us (I really am sorry for torturing you all those years ago jellyfish...we had to dispel the myths we had heard about being able to jump higher or hear that weird noise when you were smooshed...and let's be honest, it wasn't even whole jellyfishes on the beach!). However, the one I saw today was definitely still intact. So weird. I also read the first two thirds of Eat, Pray, Love...a book I have picked up and put down and never made it through. However, it was the perfect book for me to read this weekend. I absolutely love it and now I desperately want to see the movie! I managed to make it until about 4:30 with just the company of myself...all in all I think I did pretty good. Then, I decided to go into town. I went and visited with Cami at the bookstore for awhile and got Lucas a great new book. Then, I wandered around town for awhile before I headed back to the beach house until Cami got off work. I met her at the bookstore at 8:00 to hang out with Cami while she closed the store. We went to the Castaways 'Tini Tiki Hut for dinner. It was AMAZING. Seriously. I think I am in love with my dinner. We had this amazing crab and artichoke heart ravioli with this amazing garlicky cream sauce and the best garlic bread. Oh my gosh, I think I am getting hungry again just thinking about it. We ended our evening at the Driftwood, because really where else would we go? It was a good balance though...time alone and lots of thinking followed by time with other people. I get to practice being alone again tomorrow...what will I do with myself?

My dinner...accompanied by Heaven in a Glass (seriously, that's the name).

1 comment:

Sara said...

That food looks really good! And I've never seen a jellyfish. I need to put it on my to-do list. I'm sure J&J would get a huge kick out of seeing one.

Being alone is hard. Sounds like you had an amazing day, though!