Sunday, August 1, 2010

8.1.10 -- Dark Chocolate Cheesecake





So, for the pig roast, I decided to take the opportunity to try out a new recipe. So far, I have kept my promise to cook at least one new thing each week. I have made Filet Mignon (amazing on the BBQ), pork tenderloin (my mom's recipe) and now this amazing Dark Chocolate Cheesecake. Every year for the pig roast I have brought a pasta salad, I thought this should be the year to change things up, and I am so happy I did! I found this recipe on www.epicurious.com, but it is originally from Bon Appetit magazine, but I made a few changes...like the teddy grahams!

Crust
  • 1 1/2 cups of chocolate teddy grahams (I couldn't find chocolate wafers)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Filling
  • 10 oz of 70% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
  • 4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate powder)
  • 4 large eggs

Topping
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 6 ounces 70% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides. Blend cookies in processor (I don't own a food processor so I used my magic bullet to grind the cookies) until finely ground; blend in sugar. Add melted butter and process until well blended (I did this part by hand). Press crumbs evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Cool while preparing filling. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:
Stir chopped chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water; cool chocolate until lukewarm but still pourable. Blend cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder in processor until smooth (no processor, so I used a hand mixer). Blend in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in lukewarm chocolate. Pour filling over crust; smooth top. Bake until center is just set and just appears dry, about 1 hour. Cool 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of cake to loosen. Chill overnight.

For topping:
Stir cream, 6 ounces chocolate, and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over center of cheesecake, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge and filling any cracks. Chill until topping is set, about 1 hour. (I seriously thought the topping was never going to set and it seemed sooooo thin, but it turned out PERFECTLY after it set in the refrigerator!)

Release pan sides. Transfer cheesecake to platter. Top with chocolate curls. Let stand 2 hours at room temperature before serving.


This was the second time I have ever made cheesecake. The first one was a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. They are so simple to make and turn out absolutely delicious. If it didn't lead to my double sink being completely full of dirty dishes and reminding me why I really wish I had a dishwasher it would be perfect. We put it out late, so there is still some left today...and rumors that Nick threw part of a piece into the fire -- pretty sure that is blasphemy or something like that...honestly who throws a piece of cake?!?! Well, judging by the state of the garage, the driveway and all other surfaces...there was a pretty big cake war with the chocolate sheet cake...it never saw it coming. The picture at the top is of Steve after Kevin got him with cake early on in the day. I meant to take a picture of the cheesecake, but I forgot...and I was a little inebriated by the time we brought it out. Oops.


No comments: